Home page for the Goodman Ecology & Evolution Lab at the School of Biology, University of Leeds, UK.
We conduct research at the interface of population & evolutionary genetics, disease ecology and conservation biology, using a range of empirical and theoretical approaches. These pages give information about our research, other activities and opportunities to join us.
- March 2017 – Completing an EPSRC PhD studentship this year? We’re looking for a candidate to apply for an EPSRC Doctoral Fellowship to work on development of novel biosensor technology for pathogen detection (deadline 7th April, more details here).
- March 2017 – Congratulations to Dr Leandro Patino on passing his PhD viva on 8th March. Look for lots of great papers coming out soon from his work on the evolution of parasite communities in Galapagos giant tortoises.
- March 2017 – New paper out in Royal Society Open Science on the genetic structure of harbour porpoises around the UK, showing mixing of different porpoise ecotypes on the SW coast. We also found an intriguing association between body size and admixture proportion, suggesting a potential genetic influence on the phenotypic differences between the ecotypes.
- February 2017 – An interview with The Tehran Times gives some coverage of our work on threats and conservation priorities for Caspian seals
- December 2016 – Caspian seal telemetry project featured in CLS’s Argos Forum.
- October 2016 – Our work on Icebreakers and Icebreeding Seals is featured in a special issue of WWF’s Global Arctic Programme “The Circle“, covering shipping in the Arctic.
- August 2016 – Our new paper describing the first satellite telemetry study of Caspian seals is out this week. The results give new insights into the migration and foraging behaviour of this species. This short video shows examples of animated telemetry tracks giving a snap shot of annual movement patterns.
- July 2016 – Workshop on conservation priorities for landlocked seal species, October 2016
- June 2016 – Researcher links workshop on developing Next Generation Sequencing applications in Kazakhstan, September 2016